News

Police message to public after 3 major cordons set up in Nottingham over weekend

todayMarch 9, 2022 3

Background
share close

Police have issued a message to the public after three police cordons were set-up over the weekend in Nottingham.

There were two cordons set up in Nottingham city centre after incidents in the early hours of Saturday morning, March 5.

Then, on Sunday evening, a stabbing was reported in St Ann’s – two days before a man was found dead at a property in Luther Close on Tuesday (March 8).

Police say progress has been made on all of the incidents over the weekend – none of which are connected with each other.

Residents in the city centre told Nottinghamshire Live they were worried about the reports of violent incidents in such busy areas.

Police have moved to reassure the public and said there were a large number of officers out on patrol while revellers go out and enjoy themselves.

Superintendent Kathryn Craner, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “We would like to make it extremely clear that these three incidents are not connected in any way and our officers in the city centre quickly attended the scene of all three reports over the weekend and swiftly arrested two people in connection with two of the incidents.”

Police added a 33-year-old man had been charged with possession of a bladed article in a public place and causing grievous bodily harm with intent in connection with the stabbing in Liverpool Street, St Ann’s, on Sunday (March 6).



A crime scene investigation van in Upper Parliament Street.
A crime scene investigation van in Upper Parliament Street.

Supt Craner said: “Officers are also working extremely hard to track down three people in connection with a serious assault that has left a man in a stable, but critical, condition in hospital after the victim was reportedly punched and fell to the ground at 3.30am on Saturday (March 5) at the junction of Upper Parliament Street and Trinity Walk in Nottingham city centre.

“We released images of three men we wanted to speak to in connection with the assault and we have now arrested two men in relation to this incident.

“Two men, aged 17 and 21 years old, have now been arrested and remain in custody as our enquiries continue.

“I would still like to urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident to get in touch with us to help us put the pieces together and figure out exactly what happened.”

She added: “Officers also quickly attended another incident in Clumber Street, Nottingham city centre, on Saturday, which resulted in a man suffering minor injuries after a fight.

“Thankfully no-one suffered serious injuries and we arrested two men in relation to the incident.

“Nottingham is a large city with a bustling town centre and a great night-time economy and we always have a large number of officers patrolling the streets keeping the public safe while people enjoy their evenings.

“I would like to personally reassure the public we will always act as swiftly as possible to any reports of violence and investigate any incidents thoroughly.

“I would urge anyone who has any concerns about incidents in the city centre to report them by phoning 101 as quickly as possible. In an emergency always dial 999.”

To read all the biggest and best stories first sign up to read our newsletters here.

Written by: thehitnetwork

Rate it

Previous post

News

Huge 80m viewing tower set up at Hucknall car boot site

A Nottingham events company has explained why a 80m tower has appeared in a town.The reason for the large viewing tower's construction, which has been seen lit up in multiple colours at the Hucknall Car Boot Site, has been outlined by its owners. Mellors, the Nottingham-based company behind Winter Wonderland and the Nottingham Beach in Old Market Square, said they were behind the huge viewing tower and have now explained […]

todayMarch 9, 2022 2

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0%