News

Devastated Arnold family ‘lose everything’ in fire that killed their 3 ‘beloved’ dogs

todayMay 7, 2022

Background
share close

A devastated mum-of-three says she’s ‘still in shock’ after a fire destroyed her home and killed her dogs. Dee Shepherd, 30, said she “could not believe my eyes” as she watched heavy black smoke billowing out of her house in Arnold.

Ms Shepherd was out in Calverton when she received a message from a neighbour to inform her that a fire had broken out at her home. The incident was first reported to Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service at 7.13pm on Friday (May 7).

Ms Shepherd arrived back within minutes to find her home in Mellors Road covered in smoke, with her three dogs trapped inside. The dogs – one pug and two French bulldogs – were believed to be in the living room, where the fire is thought to have started, and tragically died.

READ MORE: Four fire engines tackled Arnold house fire

Ms Shepherd said: “The worst part is that we have lost our dogs – everything else can be replaced. Luckily it did not start in the middle of the night while we were asleep and I cannot imagine what it could have happened.”

She has lived at the property with her three boys: Alfie, aged nine, Fred, six, and Jack aged four, respectively. Her mum, who is also renting the property, also lives with them.

Pixie the pug had been in the family since Christmas 2018, while they got Ralph in January 2019 and looked after Dolly, who hadn’t even turned a year old. “It did not feel real,” Ms Shepherd added. “You read about house fires in the news but you never think it would happen to you. You just stand there in shock. I watched it all unfold and I just could not believe my eyes. It still does not feel real.”

The property is managed by Jigsaw Homes Midlands, an East Midlands housing association. Heartbroken mum Ms Shepherd estimates that the family have lost at least £15,000 worth of their belongings in the fire including her boys’ PlayStations, a TV, and new flooring that could not be saved. “We have lost everything,” she said.

“We were allowed to quickly get into the house to see if we could get anything. But we were told to get out because you literally could not breathe when you were in there.



Dee Shepherd and her three sons.
Dee Shepherd and her three sons.

“Within two minutes, we were coughing. We managed to save a few toys that were upstairs. We have been out in the garden trying to get the smell of smoke out.”

Four fire engines, one from Arnold, two from Stockhill and one from Carlton, tackled the fire. Nottingham City Transport also diverted its 87 services in both directions while the emergency services tackle the fire.

Ms Shepherd said her children were still in shock. She explained they were currently staying with family and friends for the time being. She also explained that the family had made contact with Gedling Borough Council to see they could be put up in emergency accommodation was possible.

Encouraged by a friend, Ms Shepherd has set up an online fundraising page to help the family get back on their feet. The page had raised almost £2,000 at the time of the publication.

“We really appreciate the help and support that everyone gave us,” said Ms Shepherd “I am feeling overwhelmed by how kind everyone is. I only asked for £500 so we could get the basic and then it has gone mad. Everyone is helping out and I am so overwhelmed and shocked by it.”

In a statement on the fundraising page, Ms Shepherd wrote: “On Friday, May 6, a fire started in the living room while me and my family were out. Unfortunately we have lost our three beloved dogs: Pixie, Ralphie and Dolly.

“We only have the clothes we are wearing. The whole downstairs is destroyed and the upstairs has severe smoke damage, any help would be much appreciated to get the basics we have lost.”

A spokesman for the fire service said crews remained at the scene until 9pm on Friday. Two breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets were used by firefighters. Neighbours reported hearing an ‘explosion’ on the same evening. Money can be donated to the fundraising page by clicking here. Nottinghamshire Live has attempted to contact Jigsaw Homes Midlands for comment.

Written by: thehitnetwork

Rate it

Previous post

News

Call for certain takeaway Beeston town centre would ‘benefit’ from

A former hair salon in Beeston could become a takeaway under plans submitted to Broxtowe Borough Council to change the use of the building. The property, in High Road, was previously Pure Kutz.It was a family-run hairdressers which closed in December last year due ill health of one of the owners. The property is currently empty. But plans have recently emerged seeking to change the use of the building and […]

todayMay 7, 2022 1

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0%