On Air Now

On Air Next

Boys killed in separate stabbings named amid concern over number of youths killed in London

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

The victims of two fatal stabbings in London have been named by police, as detectives make arrests in connection with the attacks.

On Monday, officers found 15-year-old Tamim Ian Habimana suffering from a single stab wound in Woolwich, southeast London.

Despite treatment at the scene, he was pronounced dead and a 15-year-old has been held on suspicion of murder.

Another 15-year-old has been held on suspicion of murder after Mr Habiman died from his injuries at the scene. Pic Met Police
Image: Another 15-year-old has been held on suspicion of murder after Tamim died from his injuries at the scene. Pic: Met Police

Tributes and flowers have since been left in Woolwich New Road where Tamim was found.

In a separate incident just hours later, Keane Flynn-Harling, 16, was found stabbed at an estate in Oval Place, Vauxhall, south London.

A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

More on London

On Tuesday, friends and family arrived to lay flowers and cards at the scene, paying tribute to the “friendly, bubbly” teenager.

Messages were left tied to nearby railings and signed by aunts and uncles.

“I’m so sorry you’re gone. We love you so much, rest in perfect peace,” read one, while another said: “Love you with all my heart baby boy, we love you millions.”

A 29-year-old man has been arrested in connection with Mr Flynn-Harling's murder. Pic Met Police
Image: A 29-year-old man has been arrested in connection with Keane’s murder. Pic: Met Police

“Keano, taken too soon. Sleep tight with the angels,” said another.

So far in the capital this year at least 20 teenagers have been killed, leading to concerns that the number of violent teenage deaths for the whole year will exceed the previous high of 27 in 2017.

This would mean the highest teenage death toll since 2012.

Commander Alex Murray, the Metropolitan Police’s violence lead, said: “Sadly, London has recently suffered the loss of yet more young lives as a result of senseless violence. The traumatic impact of these crimes on victims’ families, friends, and wider communities remains at the centre of why we do what we do.

“We understand the concern these events will cause, which is why the Met will not stop in our commitment to tackle violence and bring those responsible to justice. We are devoting huge resources into doing everything within our power to minimise violence – it is our priority.”

Police continue to investigate the two incidents and are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

Any witnesses or anyone with information should call 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting 5748/05Jul. To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111