play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    The Hit Network

  • play_arrow

    Techno Radio Top Music Radio

  • play_arrow

    Summer Festival Podcast Robot Heart

  • play_arrow

    Electronic Trends Podcast Aaron Mills

  • play_arrow

    New Year Eve Podcast Robot Heart

  • play_arrow

    Techno Podcast Robot Heart

  • play_arrow

    Flower Power Festival Podcast Robot Heart

  • play_arrow

    Tech House Podcast Robot Heart

  • play_arrow

    Winter Festival Podcast Robot Heart

Uncategorized

Children nearly ‘wiped out’ by ‘dangerous’ pavement barriers – but equipment finally removed

today1 July 2022

Background
share close

BT pavement works have been removed after “weeks and weeks and weeks” as residents and councillors complained the obstruction proved a danger to life. The works on a busy road in Sutton-in-Ashfield were removed after councillors threatened to bin the barriers themselves.

The pavement in Priestsic Road, at the junction with Lime Avenue and Northern View, had been blocked by barriers since June 6. Residents living in the area had been complaining for weeks, with some saying they witnessed young children almost “wiped out” by heavy goods vehicles on the busy route as they were forced onto the road to get by.

Gareth Gooding, who has lived in Priestsic Road for 20 years, said the pavement had collapsed under the weight of a vehicle. Speaking of the dangers the barriers had presented, he said: “It was just getting round it. You were very close to the traffic if you were in a wheelchair, on a scooter or infirm.

READ MORE: Stapleford fire forces houses to be evacuated as serious blaze threatens street

“I’m surprised there wasn’t an accident. It has been weeks and weeks and weeks.” And Kathryn Taylor, who regularly takes her grandchildren along the road with a pushchair, added: “It has been a problem when I’ve got my grandkids. It has been really bad.”

It is understood the obstruction was removed after Ashfield Independent councillors raised the issue with BT. But the barriers had remained in place for just under a month.

They have since been replaced with a plastic cover and two cones to allow pedestrians to walk over the hole in the ground. Councillor Jason Zadrozny, leader of Ashfield District Council, said: “We’re pleased that yesterday afternoon this obstacle was removed by BT.

“We just think it’s a shame that it took a threat to take their equipment to the tip and the threat of bad publicity for them to act. Local Sutton councillors Samantha Deakin, David Hennigan and I have repeatedly asked them to take action since June 6. We have now written to BT asking them to do an enquiry into their appalling lack of customer service and why since June 6 – they have ignored our demands.

“It is clear that BT put their own reputation ahead of public safety. This is not good enough.” BT Openreach told Nottinghamshire Live it had sent someone out to collect the barriers.

Written by: thehitnetwork

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Us

0%