On Air Now

On Air Next

Croydon tram crash inquest: Jurors return verdict of accidental death

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

Jurors at the inquest into the Croydon tram crash which claimed the lives of seven people have returned a verdict of accidental death.

A further 51 people were injured when the tram derailed in south London on 9 November 2016.

In the seven-week inquest, the jury heard that the tram toppled over and spun off the tracks near the Sandilands stop after hitting a curve at 45mph (73kph), despite a 12mph (20kph) speed restriction being in place.

The driver, Alfred Dorris, was arrested but never charged following the incident.

19-year-old Dane Chinnery. Mark Smith and 57-year-old football fan Philip Seary. 35-year-old Dorota Rynkiewicz.
Image: (From left) Dane Chinnery, Mark Smith, Philip Seary and Dorota Rynkiewicz were among the seven people killed in the crash

South London senior coroner Sarah Ormond-Walshe had told the jury of eight men and three women at Croydon Town Hall that it could deliver a verdict of unlawful killing or accident.

She sent the jury out to consider its verdict at 1.32pm on 7 July.

The crash claimed the lives of Dane Chinnery, 19; Philip Seary, 57; Dorota Rynkiewicz, 35; Robert Huxley, 63; and Philip Logan, 52, all from New Addington, and Donald Collett, 62, and Mark Smith, 35, both from Croydon.

More on London

All of the fatalities had been either fully or partially thrown out of the tram through the windows or doors when the glass shattered.

Simon French, chief inspector of the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, told the inquest that Mr Dorris may have slipped into a period of “microsleep” on the stretch of track ahead of the curve.

He said extra signage could have mitigated the risk, and there were apparent “culture issues” at operator Tram Operations Ltd that meant drivers were unwilling to admit to speeding or other errors.

There was a previous incident just 10 days before the crash when a driver hit the same bend at 27mph (45kph) and nearly overturned, but it was insufficiently investigated, Mr French added.